Nathan woke up on at a little before 6:00 am and said to his twin brother, “Spencer, I can’t see anything.” Like a good brother, Spencer responded with, “Just go back to sleep.”

Spencer got up to use the restroom and could hear Nathan “making weird noises” in the bedroom. He was having a seizure. Spencer went back into the room and found Nate. Not knowing what was happening, Spencer ran down stairs to get me (dad). When I reached Nathan, he was still seizing. I called for Jane (Leslie), there was no response. I didn’t realize what time it was. Jane was at Patti’s house exercising. Spencer ran to get the phone and we called Jane to get her home. We also called 911 and got the paramedics on their way.

Even though they did not use lights and sirens, Bishop Brandt saw the emergency vehicles from his home and walked in the door just as the EMT’s were bringing Nate down the stairs to transport to the ER.

At the ER we were told that about 1% of the population experiences a seizure at some time in their life with no recurrence. We were optimistic, but as a precaution the ER staff performed a CT scan. The scan showed a mass in Nate’s brain. He was immediately transferred by ambulance to PCMC where he underwent a more detailed MRI. The mass was about the size of a ping-pong ball. Our only option was to have the tumor removed. After speaking with the neurosurgeons, we scheduled surgery for the following day.

Meanwhile, Oma & Opa arrived at the hospital, as well as some of our neighbors/friends. Grandma & Grandpa were on the road almost the minute they heard about the tumor, making the three-state drive to be with Nathan.

That evening I went home to pick up Spencer, Andrea, Layna and Aunt Pam so they could visit Nate in the hospital. Knowing that Nate would have to shave his head for the surgery, Spencer and I both shaved our heads before heading up to the hospital for a visit.



Sounds like Spencer is the hero again!
SATURDAY, JANUARY 24, 2009 – 11:35 PM


Comments are closed.